Thank you Burn Voilence Surviros (BVS) for your monthly report for July. There were 9 children on the burns unit at the Kanti Children's Hospital, 42 food hampers were given out, 16 Goody bags, 33 Physiotherapty sessions and 35 counselling sessions for the parents and child funded by Chance ...for Nepal.
Simran is just 16 days old lives with her family in a rented room in Kathamdnu. Her mother was giving her an oil massage, and then to keep her warm, she wrapped hot ashes in a blanket around her. The ashes were to hot and tragically burned Simran. Her mother called for help and they were rushed to the burns unit at the Kanti Children’s Hospital. She suffered 10% 2nd degree burns to her left leg and tummy. As all children receive a food hamper regardless of their age, in Simran’s case, being only two weeks old, the hamper is gratefully received by her mother.
Asmita is 16 months and comes from Ramechhap District. Her mother works as a labourer, and her father passed away after suffering a heart attack last year. Their economic condition is very poor. Her mother is living with her brother and Asmita in a rented room in Kathmandu. Asmita’s mother had prepared tea and put it on a table. Asmita was playing near the table and grabbed the hot cup which spilled over her. Her mother quickly applied cold water and aloe-vera. She then took her to a pharmacy where Asmita received first aid treatment. The pharmacist advised her mother to go to Sushma Koirala Memorial Hospital where she received saline along with pain killers and medicines. Anisha was in a lot of pain and her mother had no money to pay the bills for the medicine, so begged for donations to get her daughter to the Kanti Children’s Hospital. Anisha suffered 10%, 2nd degree burns to her chest, chin and neck. She is undergoing treatment.
Sunita out is aged 7 and comes from the Dang region. Her mother was working in the paddy fields planting rice. Her father lives and works abroad. Sunita and her brother were playing at home being looked after by their grandmother. Sunita decided to go to her friend next door. Their neighbour had boiled water to wash meat for cooking and as he was carrying the hot water outside, he collided with Sunita and she got badly burned. Her grandmother came running to help and applied eggs and aloe-vera,. A message was sent to her mother who came rushing back. She was taken to Tulsipur City hospital for some first aid treatment and sent on the same day to Bheri Hospital where she received some dressings, and medicines and stayed one night. Due to the severity of the wounds, Sunita was transferred by plane to the Kanti Children’s Hospital for further treatment the following day. She suffered 10%, 2nd degree burns to her shoulder, stomach and her back. She is undergoing treatment.
Amrit is 7 months old and from the district of Sindhuli.. His father is a farmer and his mother a housewife. Their economic background is very poor. They live in a very remote rural area. To keep Amrit warm, his mother had left him near the open cooking fireplace. She had gone to the agriculture field to work, unaware that she had forgotten to extinguish the fire after cooking food. Amrit was sleeping alone when he accidentally rolled into the fire and got badly burnt. A few hours later when his parents returned back home they found him injured. Immediately, he was rushed to District Hospital, Sindhuli where he received first-aid treatment. He was referred to Kanti Children Hospital for further treatment. He suffered 15%, 2nd degree burns to both legs, feet and groin area. Tragically, his toes were too badly burned and needed to be amputated.. He is undergoing treatment.
Sanjay is 17 months old and lives with his parents. His father is a mechanic and his mother a housewife. They come the district of Rautahat. His father was at work and his mother had prepared a vegetable curry and had placed it on the kitchen rack to cool. Sanjay was playing in the kitchen whilst his mother did other chores when he accidentally pulled on the kitchen rack and some of the hot curry spilled all over his body. Hearing him cry out, his mother rushed to him and applied toothpaste on the wounded area. She contacted her husband and they both to him to a nearby medical shop where he received first-aid treatment. He was then brought by motor bike to the burns unit at the Kanti Children’s Hospital. He suffered 6%, 3rd degree burns to both hands and his mouth. His father is staying with him on the burns unit. He is undergoing treatment.
All names have been changed and permission was given by the parents.
Love and thanks to all who donate to CHANCE. You make our support possible. 🙏